There are a variety of organizations that specialize in supporting the amputee and mobility-impaired communities. Some offer general support, while others specialize in those with specific diagnoses.* Organizations that may offer financial assistance for orthotic or prosthetic care are marked with **.
AMPOWER offers a supportive amputee community and a place to gather suggestions for more resources.
Hanger Clinic cannot accept donations, but the following organizations can help you find the right way to donate new and gently used devices and components.
- The Amputee Coalition provides a list of organizations that accept gently used prosthetic devices and components.
- Limbs for Life Foundation collects used prosthetics and prosthetic componentry, plus unused socks for liners, as part of the World Limb Bank.
- Prosthetic Hope International accepts a variety of prosthetic and orthotic items.
- Abilities Expo hosts events that bring together helpful products and services
- The Amputee Coalition
- Limbs for Life Foundation** can help fund lower limb prosthetic care
- Mental Health America
- National Amputation Foundation**
- National Odd Shoe Exchange
Resources for Children (and Their Caregivers)
- Adventure Amputee Camp
- Camp No Limits, for children with limb loss or limb difference
- The Inner Wheel USA Foundation** provides myoelectric prostheses to children
- Helping Hands Foundation
- International Child Amputee Network
- The Jordan Thomas Foundation** offers support to children who experience limb loss due to traumatic injury
- Shriners Hospitals for Children** provides care, including prosthetic care, to children up to age 18 based on medical need, regardless of the family’s ability to pay
Resources for Specific Conditions
- Your local American Cancer Society**
- Cancer Survivors’ Fund**
- Your local Diabetes Association**
- Move for Jenn** funds active-wear prosthetics for those that have lost limbs to cancer
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Sepsis Alliance
- Trauma Survivors Network
Resources for Sports and Recreation
- Achilles International (running)
- Adaptive Action Sports (action sports)
- Adaptive Sports USA (general sports)
- Blaze Sports America (general sports and recreation)
- Challenge Aspen (skiing and snowboarding)
- Challenge Magazine (general sports)
- Challenged Athletes Foundation** (general sports)
- Endeavor Games (general sports)
- Footprints Adventures (travel recreation)
- International Paralympic Committee
- National Alliance for Accessible Golf** (golf)
- National Amputee Golf Association (golf)
- Orthotic and Prosthetic Activities Foundation (general recreation)
- Paradox Sports (climbing)
- U.S. Paralympics
- Yoga for Amputees
Resources for Veterans
- Angel Wings for Veterans helps secure transportation to clinical care
- Gary Sinise Foundation
- The Independence Fund**
- Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation
- Wounded Warrior Project
- The Veteran’s Administration
*This is not a complete list of resources, nor an official endorsement from Hanger Clinic.